Monday, June 3, 2013

Ad Absurdum: to the absurd

Preface: I'm really tired right now so anything I say I should not be allowed to use to sue me in the future.

Define Normal

Weird is the New Normal

   Has anyone else noticed that it's cool to be weird? I mean recently everywhere I go everyone that does anything different just gives the excuse, "I'm weird!" What do people actually mean when they say that? Are they using it as cop out for doing whatever they want even if it goes against society norms? Is it because they actually are weird?
   Well honestly you need to define weird. Urban Dictionary defines it as out of the ordinary but in a good way. I think that is how most people use it when talking about themselves but when you're talking about anybody else it's an insult implying craziness and in general unpardonable creepiness. That's the funny thing about the english language, it morphs and modefies itself to your own personal and private use.
   When I say I'm weird I'm being honest in the best way I know how. I don't understand myself 73% of the time so I don't expect anyone else to understand me more than half the time either. I act in ways that shouldn't make sense, but usually at the time they do. Then again randomly I do things just because once every 28 days or so, like I said. Weird. I can't defend my actions to most other people unless they know me and then my defense becomes, "Hey it's me." Which to a rational human being is no reason at all but it's a requirement to be my friend that you are irrational, like pi. For me being weird is honestly being myself. I act in ways that don't make sense and I do that because acting in ways that do make sense is what everyone else does. I've kind of lived my life sense I was thirteen years old by the philosophy of Anything but Ordinary. I don't want to live an average life. It's boring beyond all reason, I can handle a lot, just not boring. I'll take pain over numb any day of the week.
   To often normal, popular, boring people use weird as an excuse to be crazy or just a straight up jerk. "Oh my gosh, Jared is retarded. Let's key his car! It would be so weird!" "OMG I love weird! Let's do it." I'm not saying being spontaneous and random is a bad thing. Spontaneous is almost my life motto but call it what it is. If you want to do something out of the ordinary, do it. Go jump out of a perfectly good airplane and call it skydiving. Floor it on the interstate to see if your car can really go 120 and call it research. Tell that guy you have a crush on that you like it and call it taking a risk. Just don't go teepee your professors house and call it being weird.
   Weird. Fun word, different word, ever changing word. I'd say weird is a word for all persuasions, evasions, and occasions just use it right and for the love of all that's holy my fellow Weirdies, expand your vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment