Friday, June 14, 2013

Bono Malum Superate: overcome evil with good

Unsung Merits

A Superman Review

   I am not a Superman fan. I feel this should be said at the onset before any Man of Steel aficionados swoop in and tear my head off. I have never found the man from krypton anything short of boring. He's a alien from a dead planet that for all intensive purposes cannot die and is a bloody pain to kill (unless of course you're a supervillian in which case Kryptonite is cheaper than water on the bad guys market that you shop at because some how everybody has some). To me he has always been the naive boyscout that didn't understand reality. 
   At the midnight release of the Man of Steel my view shifted. I wouldn't say Superman/Clark Kent changed at all but my view of him realigned ever so slightly. I have never seen Clark as a relatable character. Someone you could compare with and possibly even cheer for. He has always seemed like, an other. An outside. Tonight, I saw his life in a mirror. I saw growing up with people that never wholly excepted you even though you did nothing wrong. I saw living a simple life but still dealing with issue that you feel like no one else understands. I saw life that becomes extremely complicated all at once. Clark responds to the massive difficulties and sudden complications in the way that he has always responded, straight up unadulterated morality. He is the definition of a black and white hero with no gray areas. He's basically the antithesis to my personal favorite superhero, Batman, who lives in shades of gray with one black line. 
   For the first time I felt like I could understand how Superman thinks. Homegrown morality is his core based in how he was raised. I always interpreted his goody-two-shoes attitude as blatant naivety to the real world while it's his choice on how he sees the world. He chooses to see the good in people and the evil in their actions. I still don't necessarily agree with his view and actions but it's refreshing to understand where he's coming from. In summary I found the actors in the Man of Steel refreshing and believable, the story straightforward and true to it's origins, the effects impressive, the photography stunning, the music moving, and the overall message inspiring in true Superman fashion.

I found this Review on the movie that I agree with for the most part and enjoyed reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment